Saturday, March 5, 2011

Delicious Mandheling Coffee




KOMPAS.com - your coffee connoisseur? 've never heard of or enjoy Mandheling coffee? If not, do not claim to be a true coffee connoisseur. At least you know what Mandheling coffee, though it may have never tasted it. Hmm ... Mandheling coffee? Coffee is that? From which areas?


Ehem ... I also know that not long ago actually. It was after chatting via cyberspace with a friend. He told me if it turns Sidikalang besides coffee, coffee of Aceh, and other coffees from the regions in Indonesia and well known to the world, there is also the name Mandheling coffee. Mandheling word itself is a mention of strangers against Mandailing word, which is one of a tribe in North Sumatra. When slightly lengthen, Mandailing Natal (Madina), well that is the name of the district there, which was about 12 hours from the city of Medan.



Whether coincidence or not, when I talked about coffee Mandailing (I call it with the pronunciation of Indonesia) with my friend, I was in Panyabungan, capital city of Madina for a long time until a few months. Honestly, I am actually so ashamed of myself because just learned about the coffee Mandailing which had worldwide since the 1800s until the years preceding the independence of Indonesia, when my own father have tribes Mandailing and have derived from a village in Madina.


Why could just know it? I do not know. In addition because I might personally not too keen to trace the history and legacy of cultural richness itself (which is very, very unfortunate fact), I finally think my ignorance on this matter as well because none of my nuclear family member who holds especially connoisseurs of coffee addict, so it does not there is a kind of fairy tale or a conversation about this Mandailing coffee.


Finally I find out for yourself via the internet about the history of the past glory. For this history, I think enough just to efficiency include a link for this article not too long or to be made glow.


Since this Mandailing know about coffee, I become curious and even wanted to taste it. Incidentally, I'm living in my home so just ask the people here. First, I ask where it Pakantan? Pakantan, Adnan Buyung Nasution's home village was once dubbed as the "gold mountain" because of his wealth of arabica coffee in abundance, and until now an old coffee plantation in this area reportedly left about 5 hectares of coffee plants and there are still hundreds of years old.


Unfortunately, the region remains far from Panyabungan so that it seems impossible for me to go there now, considering my main goal to this city does not allow for it. But it is still my desire endapkan in mind, until finally I accidentally watched news show on Metro TV that at the end of the segment to preach about the coffee drinks available in Madina. Wow ... very interesting!


Coffee drinks or coffee shells that I saw on the television show was truly unique appearance. As the name implies, drinks which means shell or coconut shell into the container of presentation. Not just any nut shell. Coconut shell which is made from coconut shell shaped like a cup complete with saucer. That unique anymore, Madina specialty coffee was served in a coconut shell cup with a cinnamon put into it, just like a straw. And it is true, how to drink it just like we drank the juice through a straw. Hmm ... the more curious.


Driven by curiosity, I was immediately excited to instantly find out where the location of a coffee shop or restaurant that provided it Madina coffee flavor. Interestingly, some people Panyabungan that I asked did not know where the place that can bring me coffee drinks with them. It was only after some time I know of someone about one restaurant which provides a menu of coffee drinks. It is said that not many places around this Panyabungan which provides the menu.


Funnily enough, the restaurant was actually recommended I visit often enough during his stay here, which is one of the famous restaurant in Madina because Mandailing taste his cuisine delights. The restaurant was designed like a hostel-hostel which was founded on the banks of Aek Singolot (River Singolot) rocky and watery quite swift. 


Across the river is limited restaurants that lined the trees are almost entirely of rubber trees. Sometimes it seems there hordes of monkeys roam, run-larian from upstream to downstream. Rubber trees of lush forests that resemble the sound plus the flow of the river that never stops from the upstream really made the atmosphere very calm and comfortable, although the weather is hot though. Not surprisingly, the appetite often increases when dining at this place. 


So far I do not know if there are coffee drinks in the menu mainstay restaurant named "Pondok Paranginan" this. Probably because there is no menu list because all the food dish in a restaurant dihidang like Padang. During the few times I visited there was also no waiter who tells about this legacy of coffee or no promotional media such as pamphlets or other. 


Then be, on one occasion I went there. In that spirit, I immediately asked for a cup of coffee drinks. Orders were up just when I had finished eating lunch with a delicious dish Mandailing. What I look exactly like what I see on television. A cup of coffee drinks plus a cinnamon dipped into it. Well, it seems not wait to taste it.


I used to gently stir the steaming black coffee and apparently not too thick with cinnamon sticks. I lift and suction tip cinnamon which was submerged in coffee. Hmm ... it feels a bit strange. Obviously, because the dominant feel is cinnamon. I try to trick drink it as I see it on television. Now I use a cinnamon stick as a straw. In the early days still feels pleasure. Maybe because I'm actually not a coffee connoisseur. Only this time being played as a coffee taster. 


I am increasingly curious about this coffee that he said favors. I tried again the trick is to sip slowly. I feel fine coffee powder meets the tongue but not to make me choke because it was so smooth. Cinnamon warmth began to spread over the esophagus. I seruput again and slowly but surely, I began to feel pleasure. A blend of flavored coffee and cinnamon Madina unique. Not too sweet and warm up to the belly. Worrying that often ambushed when drinking coffee, especially instant coffee, heart palpitations, dizziness, until a cold sweat, not felt. Even the body and mind are fresher, whereas before had felt sleepy from lack of sleep. 


Not to forget, I could also ask what are the ingredients for making coffee drinks is the owner of the restaurant who intervene handle her kitchen. Apparently simple. Mandailing coffee brewed with palm sugar boiling water, and as a finishing touch, dip a cinnamon into it. Oh, this is one more that makes this coffee tastes different. Palm sugar or brown sugar. Hmm ... perhaps, I thought. It may also if it makes coffee drinks as a compulsory menu that should always be ordered when a visit here. (Annie F Rangkuti)
Source : http://travel.kompas.com/read/2010/03/05/15361983/Wuihh.....Nikmatnya.Kopi.Mandheling

Try Our  Mandheling Coffee

No comments:

Post a Comment